Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Upcycling Furniture with Farrow and Ball






I’ve always been in to revamping and upcycling but I’ve been particularly inspired recently. I don’t know if this is the influence of Kirstie and her attempts to ‘Fill Your House for Free’ or just deep set in my roots and thrifty upbringing.

 

 My first project was this well loved little wooden stool, I wish I had a story behind this but it was found in the garage of a friend’s new house. It was filthy and covered in paint specks but I saw the potential.

 

Next was this bread bin. I had been on the hunt for the right bed bin for a while but it’s such a boring purchase I never really gave it much thought. On a trip to the local council tip with our moving boxes I spotted this balancing on the edge of the ‘wood’ skip. You’re not technically allowed to buy anything from the tip which is such a shame and my boyfriend was pretty embarrassed when I grabbed this but oh well!
 
My dad had some left over Farrow and Ball paint in ‘Estate Eggshell’. This stuff is really great, I only did some very light sanding as quick prep and just one coat covered all.





(note the comically large paintbrush, it was all I had!)

And the afters:




I really like the look of both of these items and can’t wait to get creative again.

They’re by no means perfect and the stool could have done with some filler in the holes and dents, but I like the ‘shabby’ look.




Total cost: FREE!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Loving these :)

    and yes, the headphones are totally non-plastic, hopefully more durable than most!

    xx

    ReplyDelete