Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Beamish – The Living Museum




I recently went to Beamish in Stanley, Co Durham. Considering I live so close it was pretty awful that I hadn’t been in years. In fact last time was a school trip and I was dressed as a Victorian child. 



Beamish is a ‘living museum’ meaning that it’s a replica of a Co. Durham town, villages, farm and industry.

 
 This is a pretty picture heavy post (and my last ever instaspam – I’ve been reunited with my camera!) but I would really recommend checking out their website for more details.





Beamish is huge and each section is easily accessed by the traditional transport links.




You can go and explore in each house and there are staff giving talks and answering questions, the dentist was particularly interesting and the staff are so knowledgeable.  







The mining tour was really interesting and experiencing the conditions that my relatives worked in was pretty humbling. 




And of course everyone’s favourite part of the museum is the traditional sweet shop! There are demonstrations, testers and such a wider variety of choice.
 

I had a great day out (despite the cold..I’m from Co. Durham, why didn’t I know to wrap up warmer?!) but it maybe will be better appreciated from someone who lives away from the area. It didn’t seem such a ‘step back in time’ because I used to live in and know all the local pit villages. Plus, my Dad actually supplied some of the bits and pieces during the refurb. Once you pay for your Beamish ticket you are in for the year. I will be visiting when the new bakery is opening. It’s a great place for a summer picnics and I can’t wait to see the town at Christmas time.
Has anyone ever been or know anything similar? I can't wait to explore more!

5 comments:

  1. In 2010 I was staying in Newcastle but never made it to the museum even though I was advised to go. Now looking at these pictures I feel so stupid for not doing it :(
    I bet it is fantastic!
    xo
    Anastasia
    http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks like so much fun! I have heard of but never been. Maybe I will now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very goοԁ aгticle. I am goіng through a few of
    thеsе iѕsueѕ as wеll.

    .

    my webѕite - 888 Ροkеr
    Offer ()

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I love Beamish! Haven't been for years probably should as like you I live near to it. The sweet shop is defiantly the best part, I had candy alphabets for the first time here :D

    Just Smile.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I love Beamish! Haven't been for years probably should as like you I live near to it. The sweet shop is defiantly the best part, I had candy alphabets for the first time here :D

    Just Smile.
    xo

    ReplyDelete