Sunday, 10 February 2013

How to remove candle wax from a glass jar – Repurposed Candle DIY




 Does anyone else have 1001 scented candles in pretty jars left over from Christmas? There is something so cosy about candles burning all winter that I just love.


 




These particularly festive scents had come to an end and I wanted to use the jars in a practical way.

Cinnamon – Homebase - £4 (I have been recommending these candles to everyone. They have such a lovely scent and are so long lasting, they are a great Yankee Candle dupe).
Candycane – TKMaxx - £6




I have tried this DIY before by freezing the jar and shrinking the wax, however I took it from cold to hot too quickly & the glass shattered. Not recommended! If I, a DIY disaster, can do this with no hassle then I’m sure it’s fool proof.
 
Simply score the remaining wax, add boiling water and wait for the wax to melt & rise to the top. It really is that easy.



See the lava lamp effect?


  
Next, wait for the wax to cool and remove. I’m pretty paranoid about my pipes (ooh err) so poured the water in to an old bottle to throw away, just to make sure of no waxy remains down the sink.


Next repurpose and reuse and you wish. I have three more large jar candles and think these would look lovely as storage.

1 comment:

  1. I need to do this! I have so many candles lying around that could be used for something else.

    Thanks for this!x

    ReplyDelete